We deal directly with each tour operator, which means we can guarantee you the best price. If within 24 hours of your booking you find the exact same tour elsewhere for a lower price, let us know and we'll refund you the difference!
Hidden Tribes and Trails of Laos
Explore river valleys and single track trails in northern Laos, a true mountain bike haven, over 9 epic days. Discover northern Laos via the uncharted trails, thick jungle artery and secluded river valleys. Immerse yourself with locals and learn about the local culture as you explore the region on a mountain bike. This adventure will take you to unblemished destinations rarely seen by outsiders. Beginning in charming Luang Prabang, veer far off the tourist trail and into mountainous tribal territory as you work your way through mountain valleys and villages. Encounter authentic tribal communities, breathtaking mountain scenery, and unparalleled off-road and single-track riding, before returning back to Luang Prabang.
- CategoryTrail Riding
- TypeFully Guided
- Duration9 days
- Culture LevelAdventurous
- Skill Level4 - Advanced
- Activity Level4 - Challenging
- Elevation4 - Challenging
- Distance206.3 miles
- Avg. Daily Distance34.2 miles
How long is the tour? How many days cycling?
The tour is 9 days long with 6 days of cycling.
Where does the tour start and end?
The tour begins and concludes in Luang Prabang. Laos. The nearest airport is Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ).
How many riders will be in the group? What is the minimum age to join?
The maximum number of participants is 16 and the minimum is 2.
The minimum age to join the tour is 18 years old.
Can you describe the tour?
In just 6 riding days, mountain bike 332 kilometers of some of Southeast Asia's most remote and wild mountain scenery. To access remote hill tribe hamlets and escape the beaten track, the route utilizes a network of single-track trails and dirt village roads in rough condition, making for exciting and challenging riding.
Suitability: For the intrepid mountain biker in search of real adventure, you've found it. This tour is physically challenging and technically demanding mountain bike trip. Due to the remote nature of many of the trails and single-track you'll be riding, the support vehicle will not be 100% available, and this trip should only be attempted by fit, experienced riders who are able to handle demanding terrain for long stretches. While the tour operator will utilize the best of what's available, understand that the areas along the route are remote, and have had minimal exposure to the outside world. Western standards may not always be available, but warm welcomes and eye-opening cultural experiences will be. Expect adventure both on road and off.
Biking Conditions: Riding surfaces are a mixture of single-track, jeep tracks, dirt roads, and some asphalt sections in between trails. Village roads in Northern Laos are generally dirt in rough condition- great for experiencing by mountain bike! There is a great deal of variation in single track on this trip, and experience riding off-road and advanced single-track is strongly recommended. Trails traverse thick jungle, steep mountainsides, and rocky river valleys that make up the amazing natural playground that is Northern Laos. Due to the remoteness and condition of these trails, vehicle support will not always be 100% available, and riders should bring a hydration backpack to carry additional water and fuel on long single-track sections.
Are bicycles included?
Bike hire is not included in the tour price. You may rent one for an additional charge or opt to bring your own.
Please see a message from the tour operator about policies relating to COVID-19
Updated: July 24, 2020
Due to the ongoing global impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) and with many international borders remaining closed for an extended period, Spiceroads has decided to suspend the majority of tours until at least 30 October 2020.
While this is extremely disappointing for all of us, the safety and security of our travelers, along with that of our staff and partners, has always been the most important factor.
If you were booked on a tour that has been suspended due to the pandemic, you will automatically receive a credit of 100% of monies paid (of your deposit or full payment) which can be redeemed as follows:
- You can re-book a tour now for a future travel date before 30 September 2022.
- You can hold on to your travel credit until you are ready to re-book on any future departure before 30 September 2022.
We apologize for the inconvenience and sincerely hope you will understand and support us during this unprecedented crisis. Spiceroads is a small company with a big heart and we are doing everything we can to work through this crisis and plan to start operating tours again as soon as we can. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience and understanding in these unprecedented times and are communicating with everyone booked on the impacted tours.
If you are booked on a tour that is due to depart from 1 November 2020, there are currently no changes to your trip, and it is currently scheduled to depart as planned. We are monitoring the situation closely and will notify you directly if your tour is affected.
If you want to cancel your booking, you can receive a credit for the amount paid to use on a new tour with a departure date before 30 September 2022.
For new bookings please see our flexible booking conditions below:
Terms & Conditions:
- We require a deposit (as listed on the individual tour pages) or full payment to reserve a place for you on a tour.
- In the event that we are unable to operate the tour, this deposit will be transferred to another tour at your discretion or held as a credit for use anytime until 30th September 2022.
- The balance of the tour’s cost (final invoice) must be paid 45 days before the departure date with fees for any bicycle rental(s), single supplement(s) and extra hotel nights.
- In the case where a booking is made when there are less than 45 days until the tour departure date, the tour’s cost must be paid in full within 48 hours of receiving an invoice from SpiceRoads.
- In all cases, tour fees must be paid “in full” before participation in a tour. No person(s) will be allowed to join a tour without fully settling their invoice and receiving a confirmation number from SpiceRoads.
- Some last-minute miscellaneous fees (visas, additional local hotel bookings, etc.) can be settled on the day of arrival.
Flexible Booking Policy
- This policy allows for multiple changes to the departure date.
- The change will only be approved if it is requested by the client in writing a minimum of sixty (60) days before the departure date.
- In the event the change request is moving to a different tour, then a price adjustment may need to be applied and your tour consultant will advise on what this will be.
- Deposit terms are 30% on booking or US$500 whichever is the greater.
- Any cancellation without rescheduling forfeits the deposit paid, until 45 days, at which time it is 70%, until 15 days at which time it is 100%.
Are helmets included when hiring a bike?
Yes, if you're hiring a bike from the operator, a complimentary helmet is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own if you wish.